Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Countdown to Togo 2011



Less than two weeks to go! It will be here before I know it. Twenty-One Team Members will be leaving on Monday, November 7th around 5pm and will return Thursday, November 17th. Our trip will consist of 4 full clinic days and two half clinic days in 3 different areas in the north. I want to thank you all again for your help and support, as well as let you know what God has been teaching me for this journey. So first, anybody who has played a part in this, whether, financially, prayerfully, helping with the kids or George’s sanity while I am gone. …. THANK YOU SEVEN TIMES SEVENTY  You are all involved in missions through this and should count yourselves as blessed! Please continue to pray for our safe travels (to and while we are there because there will be travel between clinics), safety and our impact on the country as well as aiding the pioneer’s mission there.



Now, I want to share my WHOLE experience with you … even before I leave.


Struggles - This trip is sneaking up on me quickly and I want to be prepared in all areas before I leave… Interesting that our team devotional this week is on procrastination. Let the cramming begin!!! As far as struggles go, mine are silly – for someone who doesn’t normally deal with anxiety, I’ve had a little this time about while I am there (i.e. getting sick or catching something, not sleeping, not getting to shower and being grumpy, not being in the right mind set, etc.) Again, I will say silly things. When they creep in my head I push them out and recognize them for what they are. This trip is not about me but HIM.


Learning – Last year, God placed a bible verse on my heart that you may remember.

Luke 12:48 “When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.”


This verse touched me last year from a material standpoint, but recently in a women’s bible study, I was shown that it goes much further. Americans have so many privileges we don’t even think about. We have so much access and freedom to God’s word (bibles, book, teachers, churches, tv, radio, internet, etc). It is “Much” and it “has been given…” to America. This challenges me to be more intentional about EVERYTHING (not just the material) that I have been given and to become more missions minded. With that said, I have a growing anticipation to see what God will do through this trip. This year, we are taking an extra focus on loving the Togolese above and beyond the medical care. We have plans to be more INTENTIONAL in the children’s, women’s and men’s ministries. As far as men’s, other more qualified team members will be handling that one .



In children’s ministry, we are doing a skit to music to show the gospel. Its very moving and I invite you to view the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSwCOs-uXzU&feature=related) where we got our idea. Of course some of the skit will be changed to their cultural struggles… i.e. idol worship (which is my part in the skit). The best thing about this approach is that it not only relieves us of some of the language barriers we will face, but also that not only the children will see this, but everyone who comes to the medical clinics. And when “Yovo’s (white people) in scrubs come” EVERYONE comes to see the show. 



This year, I was felt called to step out of my comfort zone and be a part of the women’s ministry as well. I along with two other team members will be leading them in making a bracelet with three beads (symbolizing the trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit and how it relates to them). It will be a tangible way to show them the Gospel that they can take along with them everyday. When we get the whole lesson together, I look forward to sharing it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment