Monday, December 13, 2010

Togo, West Africa Medical Mission Trip 2010

It is now the holidays, and what better time to share my 12 Day Medical Mission experience to Togo, West Africa with you. I’m not sure who was most affected, the Togolese people we helped or myself. It’s really hard to put my whole experience into a few words. I will try my best. This is my first blog, yes, im pretty old school, but trying, go to my albums on facebook to see pictures from the trip.

The Partnership: For the last 10 years, Seacoast church has partnered with Pioneers Togo, an African missionary team who goes to the poor, hard to reach villages and spreads the gospel. They are true servants who go where no one else wants to. This group looked out for all of our needs despite many inconveniences by providing us with 16 Christian Interpreter students, transportation, accommodations, food, water, protection, etc. I believe they worked harder than we did. I didn’t know much about this group before I went, but now I have so much respect and admiration for them. For more info on this group, http://www.pioneers-africa.org/

Our Mission was to meet the medical needs of the Togolese with the hope of telling them about the one true cure – Jesus Christ. We aided Pioneers Togo in serving these villages by providing a different way for them to continue building trust and showing service to their people. We performed 7 medical clinics in 7 different villages in 7 days. (We were in hospitals – not quite like ours, schools – again, not quite like ours, and one was outside under a big tree offering shade.) Over 500 patients were seen, reading glasses were given out, medications were prescribed and necessary surgeries were planned. Many of the people believed that we wouldn’t help them if they weren’t a Christian. Our goal was to also show Christ’s love and his free gift, no strings attached.

My Role, besides playing with the kids, was “medicine teacher.” I was the last person that the patient would see who gave them their medicine, and educated them on what it was for and how often to take it (with an interpreters help of course). Throughout the week, I began to realize that this wasn’t a numbers game to get through as many as possible, but instead time to allow God to speak through me before each one left. I didn’t personally bring anyone to Christ, but I SAW seeds being planted and throughout the week, many came to know Christ, including one of the
village chiefs (this will have a huge impact on their whole village).

Some things I learned:
1. We had many obstacles along the way, such as, 40 of us as a whole team with different personalities, bus breaking down often causing delays, hard living conditions (sometimes not any water to shower at night), etc. Amazingly, there was never any complaining. Just knowing that we were in God’s will made the way for perfect peace and divine appointments. I hope to bring this type of outlook back to America with me, because it is a rare thing.
2. I experienced prayer at a different level and realize that there is so much that I’m missing out on. I hope to grow in this area and experience the blessings.
3. I learned how the rest of the world lives compared to America. We take so much, especially our conveniences for granted. A wise team member of ours said that God doesn’t want us to feel bad for having much, but instead, to act and do good with what you have. Luke 12:48 “When someone has been given much, much will be required in return; and when someone has been entrusted with much, even more will be required.” I will write this verse on my heart.
I do hope to continue my mission experiences, both locally and globally. I eagerly wait for God to show me what’s next. Thank you so much for your support, prayers, and friendships.

Christie Michaud


Highlights from the Trip
Divine appointments
1. Sitting next to a Muslim passenger on the airplane – 5 minutes before we land from
ATL to NY. He starts a religious conversation asking about our trip and why we are
doing this. His religion is based on a point system that he doesn’t agree with. I told him,
Jesus is our free gift and wipes away the points system.

2. Bus’ first brake down on the side of the road next to a few huts. We ended bringing joy
to children by singing and playing games with them.

3.I met a precious 8 yr old girl, Oda Edudzi, while singing with children during one
of the many waits for our team and the bus. She clung to me and I noticed village kids
young and old were picking on her. Adults even would shoo her away and say she was “not normal.” She seemed perfectly normal, just shy. We had clinic there the next day in and she found me. (Wasn’t too hard, I was the one out in the sun jumping rope with the kids.) I was on a mission to make her feel special and let all the onlookers see it. We got
the Village Pioneer missionary involved. He picked her up like a baby in front of all the stares
and the look on her face told me she’s never felt love like this. I plan to stay in touch and help.

The Togo culture
Carry EVERYTHING on their heads … except their
babies which are wrapped on their backs all day.
Driving – no order, no lanes, 90% motorcycles with
whole families (yes that means children to) on board;
Out of the big city - No electricity, mud huts, water
is scarce and brown. Even in the city, A/C is a rare luxury.
Your village is your family. Everyone is together all the
time. Children run around together unsupervised.
The eyes and smiles of the children – have so little,
but are so happy. Taking pictures of them and seeing
the smiles when they look at themselves.
When children do get something, it’s a fight for it
because they aren’t used to having things. However,
if its food or water. There’s a sense of sharing.
Amnesty, idol worship, is common among the
Togolese. Some even incorporate it into Catholicism. You can find idols on the side of the road.
The man of the family makes all major decisions, if
the wife wants to become a Christian and not worship idols,
she only can if her husband says its ok.


Most Memorable Experience: Riding on a motorcycle with 2 (yes 2) African interpreters through “the bush” on
my way to a village named “Hell” for clinic on Halloween. Smiling and waving like a celebrity and being called “Yovo” (white person) while riding through the bush.
Then attending a church service in “Hell” where God is doing amazing things. Thankfully, the name will soon be
officially changed to Shitope (Place of Refuge).

One of my favorite things about our trip was making friendships and
worshiping cross-culturally with the Pioneers Togo team and interpreters.
We rode “Samson”, the bus, together on our way to clinics. There was
no A/C, LOTS of vehicle trouble, delays, and no complaints, just prayer and singing. The interpreters taught us a favorite song of theirs, “Jesus is tha Winna Man.” It’s very catchy. It soon became our favorite song of the trip!

Thank You for letting me share my experience! If you’d like to hear more, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment