Monday, November 21, 2011

2011 Trip Recap


























Wow! God is a mighty orchestrator. At ALL times, in ALL things. I see how He brought me to Togo last year to experience, grow and prepare me for this year. When you look at the big picture and how He puts the pieces together it is quite amazing. It is so much easier to see that in Africa away from America’s distractions and drama. For this reason, EVERYONE should go on a mission trip sometime in their life. You think in doing so you will be helping others, but the reality is, God blesses you in ways you cannot even imagine. For me, it’s the only time, when I am able to GIVE GOD COMPLETE CONTROL. It’s the only time, when I KNOW I’m doing what I was MADE TO DO (GLORIFY HIM). In fact, when it was time to come home, I was so torn about leaving, b/c I know how America’s distractions so easily consume me and my mission.

This year, Pioneers International created a new “How” to their vision. Their organization plants missionaries and then churches in indigenous hard to reach areas around the world. In the country of Togo, there are 45 different people groups (dialects) and approx 95% are animist (idol worship. Some claim to be Christians.), 1 northern area is 95% Muslim. Pioneers Togo currently have 13 missionaries working to reach the lost and find those among them to impact their village for Jesus.

Last Year Update: Some may remember Oda, the little girl who I built a special connection with. We didn’t have clinic in her village this year, but the Pioneer area missionary, Sylvester, brought her to see us for the day. She has grown up. Was really shy when she first came, but soon opened up. We showered her with the gifts we brought and snuck her into the bus for lunch (in which she proceeded to eat two whole plates of rice!). Sylvester, tells us that being in school has brought her great happiness. We were able to see first hand how she’s fitting in better with the area children. We learned that to continue to help her, we need to help the family. She has 3 other siblings, no father around, and an uneducated mother. This means they have NO income. Her mom is sad and feels hopeless. Pioneers suggested that she needs money (which they manage) to start a business (teach her to make something and sell) so the family can begin receiving income. The startup money was taken care of while we were there (praise God) and I am excited to receive updates on how the family is doing. We will also make sure Oda stays in school. And are praying about her siblings. Did you know that $30 can get a child into school? Once the child has a UNIFORM (which is part of the cost), only then can they attend school. After that you are looking no more than $20 per year to keep them in school.

This Year Recap:
Our medical team took on the challenge to be more intentional in sharing the gospel this year. I have no doubt that God was at work in mighty ways. In 5 days of clinic (3 different areas), over 2000 Togolese were exposed to the gospel, through the team skit, pioneers sermon, ministries (men, women, children’s), and interpreted prayer.
- 540 patients saw a provider (5 sent directly to hospital, others being considered for surgery*)
- 300 more received just glasses, another 200 received sunglasses
- 1000 more came to the clinic just to see the show (“yovos” – white people at work)
*5 of whom were sent directly to the hospital – hours away on a bumpy road; many others are being considered for future surgeries. Seacoast allocates a sum of money per mission trip to go towards surgeries, wheel chairs, etc. This year most was given for the 5 sent to hospital while we were in clinic. There are more in need and our team is prayerfully considering how to help. As an extended part of our team, I pray you will do the same. It’s amazing how far $200 will go in Togo Healthcare.


DIVINE APPOINTMENTS (Just like last year, God was all about this. Makes me wonder if he does it just as much in America but we are too busy and distracted to see it…)

Children’s Ministry
– Instead of just blowing bubbles, singing songs, taking pictures and letting them see themselves for the first time, we shared a lesson about ways to KNOW GOD LOVES ME. The first day we did this, it was only the unschooled children (which mean they didn’t know French, therefore, couldn’t understand our interpreters). There just so happened to be a man waiting for his medication who heard us. He was a teacher, and even a Christian and he not only interpreted their dialect through our interpreter, but he preached to them … and without us even asking for help. These children eyes shined when they listened to him. They were even taught how to pray. Now tell me that was not God!!!



Women’s’ Ministry – We made 3-bead bracelets explaining the trinity (3 persons, 1 God)
Red – God the Son (Jesus). He loved us so much, he died and his blood covers our sins.
White – God the Holy Spirit. Once Jesus died and returned to the Father in heaven, he sent us a helper, comforter, counselor, bestfriend. We are NEVER alone.
Green – God the Father. He created you. He is in control and bigger than anything and everything.
We did this lesson twice.
First time
, it was interpreted for all woman to come over – and 50 came. After we shared the lesson, their questions were about whether they would be seen in the clinic now. Explained that if they didn’t receive a card that day, then they needed to come back the next morning and try again. They weren’t too happy, but it gave us a chance to explain that medicine can only help your pain, but Jesus, it the only one who can heal your pain. 20 of the 50 ended up staying with us to be prayed over. Seeds were planted (Adjo-see below) and all 50 walked away with a reminder of who God is with their bracelets.
Second time, was at the very end of last clinic. We were all tired and medical was finishing up. I felt a prompting to ask the 10 women still around if they would like to come over for a bible lesson. They all came. There was definite interest and good questions including “How good do I need to be before I can come to him?” I was able to share that he wants you to come RIGHT where you are. In fact, you cannot change without him! One woman even prayed with the village missionary for the first time.

AkouaClinic Day 1 (Ditriamé village) my role was medicine teacher (same as last year). Felt much more comfortable sharing my faith and praying with those who came through. Midway through the day, Akoua, a young mother, came through with depression written on her card (“going mad” was written as well). I felt prompted to address the subject and let her know that I to struggle with sadness. I will never forget the look of hope on her face. It broke my heart to know that those with mental struggles were rejected and seen as crazy among the Togolese culture as a whole. When you already believe this about yourself, how much harder is it for you to “break free” when the world around you won’t forget. From then on I felt a calling to reach out to those who came through clinic with this struggle.
Clinic Day 2 (in the Djon village), I was walking to the clinic with a team member who speaks French and struggles with similar things. No sooner than I could get out of my mouth that I hoped that the two of us would see Akoua again and be able to talk with her, she appears behind us. She had walked all the way from her village. Tell me that is not God!!! We wrote down bible verses in French for her to say and claim when she was weak. (Just as I had learned to change my thinking by 1) believing the “truth” and not lies; and, 2) by speaking it). She came back again the last day of clinic to tell me she spoke the verses we gave her and feels better! We are getting her a bible of her own. I plan to stay in touch and encourage her.






Adjo – Another young woman was sent to me after being seen in the clinic because “depression” was written on her card. By the time she got to me, she was truly hungry for the word. She wanted a bible, but couldn’t read. I prayed the salvation prayer with her (first time ever for me) and shared a little about how I combat my depression. Through the Pioneers, we are working on getting her a bible AND teaching her how to read. Get this! She just happened to be one of the Togolese women who were mad about coming yesterday to women’s ministry and not being seen medically. She however, was one of the 20 / 50 who stayed for us to pray over. God is good and working all around us!

Now that I am back, what do I do with it?
My prayer throughout my trip was how to continue God’s work at home. He revealed to me early in the trip, that it was in same way I was doing here - being a friend to those who struggle with similar things as I. He was calling me to step out of my comfort zone and be transparent not only to close friends but to all. You never know who needs to hear your story. Over my life, I have struggled with depression and looking back I have a wonderful testimony that needs to be shared AND a passion to do so. I am seeking ways to be used in a few different ministries. Please pray I will be patient and continue on this exciting journey God has taken me on. `

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a great trip. Love seeing what God is doing in Africa and in your life. Bless you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete